Make your own free website on Tripod.com

CASA de LIBERTY

Area Attractions

About This Guest Haus
History / Background
Photo Album
Accommodations
Policies
Area Attractions
Contact Information
Rates - Reservations
Directions

Philadelphia's colonial history comes alive throughout the region. Familiar sites like the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall or Betsy Ross's House are a short trip away in Center City. Germantown is about geographically center in the metropolis that is today's Philadelphia. Like many other outlying villages, Germantown now lies within Philadelphia's city/county limits.

NEARBY HISTORIC SITES:

Stenton

gtown-stenton.jpg

This early Georgian (1723-1730) brick house on a three-acre site in Germantown, was designed and built by William Penn's secretary, James Logan. Furnishings include many Philadelphia-made Logan family pieces belonging to the first three generations who lived there.

4601 North 18th Street
Tues - Sat 1 - 4pm
215-329-7312



Loudoun Mansion

gtown-loudounmansion.jpg

Maria Dickinson Logan donated her family home, Loudoun, and its contents to the City of Philadelphia in 1939. The 1801 house is an excellent example of Federal Style architecture with later Greek Revival additions. Fairmount Park completed an exterior restoration following a disastrous fire in the early 1990s and is currently under interior restoration to be adaptively reused.

Loudoun Park is 1 block away across the street
4650 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144



Hood Cemetery - Lower Burying Ground

gtown-hoodcemeterygate.jpg

This elaborate arching gate is at the entrance to the lower burying ground, a half-block to the north.

In 1692 Leonard Arets set aside by deed a half-acre of ground for burial purposes for Lower Germantown. Here among the old trees, rose bushes, and weathered stones lie 41 soldiers who fought in the Revolution and soldiers from War of 1812, the Seminole War, Mexican War, and Civil War. William Hood, a Germantown resident, gave the money for the front wall and gate in exchange for being allowed to select his own burial spot near the entrance.

Tours arranged through the Germantown Historical Society

Site of First Anti-slavery Meeting by White Settlers in America

gtown-antislaverymtgsite.jpg

At Germantown Avenue and Wister Street, about 3 blocks north of here, a historic marker stands on the site of Thones Kunders's house, the site of the first meetings of the Society of Friends in Germantown. And it is where the first protest against slavery in the New World was signed in 1688.

A copy of the protest is in the Germantown Mennonite Meeting House. Written by Francis Daniel Pastorius, who struggled with the English since his native tongue was German, and signed by him, Garret Hendericks, Derick up de Graeff and Abraham up Den Graef, the protest opposed the importation, sale, and ownership of slaves. The protest contains powerful statements of this sentiment such as, "...we shall doe (sic) to all men like as we will be done ourselves; making no difference of what generation, descent or colour they are."


Grumblethorpe

gtown-grumblethorpe.jpg

Built in 1744 for wine importer John Wister, Grumblethorpe was the home of Philadelphia's prominent Wister family for more than 160 years. A prime example of domestic Germantown architecture of the period, construction is dressed Wissahickon stone and oak from Wister's lands. Today, Grumblethorpe's restoration to a 1744 appearance includes period furnishings and a beautiful colonial herb and vegetable garden.


5267 Germantown Avenue

Open by Appointment with the
Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks
215-843-4820
info@philalandmarks.org



Wyck

gtown-wyck.jpg

Dating back to the 1690s, Wyck has served as home to nine generations of the Quaker Wistar and Haines family. Today this wonderful colonial house, with its noteworthy 1824 alterations and historic interiors and gardens, provides a detailed glimpse into a past way of life. Featuring 18th and 19th century original family furnishings within, the distinctive grounds include early outbuildings that were part of Wyck's farm, and feature a nationally known garden of old roses growing in their original plan from the 1820s.

6026 Germantown Avenue
Tues, Thurs, Sat 1 - 4 pm
215-848-1690

www.wyck.org


Deshler-Morris House

gtown-deshler-morrishse.jpg

Built in 1773 by merchant David Deshler, the house was occupied by the British army during the 1777 Battle of Germantown. It became know as the "Germantown White House" when it served as the site for President Washington's cabinet meetings in 1793. Washington fled the Yellow Fever in 1793, then returned with his family to escape the summer heat of the city in 1794.

5442 Germantown Avenue
Museum operated by the National Park Service
Call for current hours and tour information: 215-596-1748

www.nps.gov/demo


The Johnson House

gtown-johnsonhse.jpg

Built in 1768, the Johnson House served as a station stop on the Underground Railroad during the 1850s. The Quaker Johnson family sheltered fugitive slaves on their third floor. Today, the Johnson House is the only accessible and intact Underground Railroad site in Philadelphia.

6306 Germantown Avenue
Thurs, Fri 10 am - 4 pm Sat 1 - 4 pm
215-438-1765

www.johnsonhouse.org







Free Library of Philadelphia

Germantown: Joseph E Coleman Branch
68 W. Chelten Avenue
215-685-2150

Mt. Airy: Lovett Memorial Branch
6945 Germantown Avenue
215-685-2095

Chestnut Hill Branch
8711 Germantown Avenue
215-685-9290

ALL 3 BRANCHES have internet access  available
with time reservations. Street parking at each branch,
most with meters.

www.library.phila.gov



Germantown Historical Society

gtown-histsocbldg.jpg

Exhibits and lectures on Germantown's fascinating 300-year history provide visitors with an overview and context for experiencing the area's historic sites. The extensive library and archives feature local history and include collections from the Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion and the African-American Genealogy Group. This important resource also features a photograph and glass plate negative collection, plus a gift shop with works by local artists.


5501 Germantown Avenue
215-844-1683
Museum and Library
Tuesday, Thursday 9 am - 5 pm; Sunday 1 - 5 pm

Visitors Center and Gift Shop
Monday - Friday 9 am - 5 pm; Sunday 1 - 5pm

www.germantownhistory.org

MORE GERMANTOWN HISTORIC SITES:

CLIVEDEN - Home to 7 generations of the Chew family, now operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Site of Revolutionary Battle of Germantown. Annual battle reenactment in early October - Revolutionary Germantown.

www.cliveden.org

www.revolutionarygermantown.org

UPSALA - Across street from Cliveden

CONCORD SCHOOL & UPPER BURYING GROUND - Concord School is Philadelphia's only 18th century one-room school, next to the Upper Burying Ground where several officers and soldiers are buried.

EBENEZER MAXWELL MANSION - The only authentically restored Victorian house museum and garden in Philadelphia. 215-438-1861

www.ebenezermaxwellmansion.org

HISTORIC RITTENHOUSE TOWN - Site of North America's first paper mill. 215-483-5711

www.rittenhousetown.org